Tuesday, July 13, 2010

You Can Eat Beans If You Live On The Land

Ok, no more fooling around today. Yesterday I sewed all the buttons (from my friend Harriett) onto my vintage coat. It wasn't as easy as I thought, mostly because I'm an idiot and the first thing I did was sew them on the wrong side of the coat. Then I didn't put the functional button in the right spot. By this time, as you can imagine, the joy was starting to fade from this particular project, but I did finish it, and it's awesome.

But today I have REAL things to do. Things I need to do such as forage for food in the wilderness and sew a button on Dave's shorts because all buttons are now sewed on with a 5 inch piece of thread. I am sincerely hoping that this button sewing project is easier than yesterdays. But back to the foraging, the wilderness is the St. Lawrence Market, which in the height of tourist season is as dangerous as the wilds of Africa. Complete with herds of wild animals (large groups of child-tourists) The market is not open on Monday so I usually wait until Tuesday to go out to get my "stuff" which most days is organic veggies, sometimes meat and sometimes a little kitchen gadget at the kitchen gadget store. Today it is strictly veggies - and not very many as on Saturday we visited Farmer George. He gave us some weird veggies - they look like little garlics but with long stalks that you cut off and you can freeze them to use in soup because they are too tough to use for anything else. The bulb part you use like a garlic. I guess they grow like weeds because he begged us to take a bunch for free.

Now step into the wayback machine to Saturday night because I forgot to tell you about this before due to my angry post regarding sports and near starvation. Saturday night our friends took us out for dinner at a fantastic french restaurant and before coming back to our place for while. I had the duck confit, lovely lovely scalloped potato and green beans - nice little portions with big taste. Yum. The bill was frightening, but our friends insisted on paying. Early in the day (before the whole sports/starvation scenario) I went to my favorite yarn shop at the beaches and discovered they were going out of business. I had gone there to find a pattern to make a cowl scarf with buttons - they weren't much help because they were busy with going out of business sales. I left and decided to find it on line - on ravelry I found one and now I just have to go to the other yarn shop to get the yarn for it. I also may sign up for their spinning class, but this is the yarn shop I cried at, so I have to make sure they are not having the class downstairs in the hot basement otherwise we might have a repeat performance.

 And now for the best news of all. Our handyman is scheduled to come tonight to hang our crafty sale wooden things and the thing we've had hanging around for years (you know, the coat hook thing we got in Concord MA, back when we had drinks with Thoreau and Emerson at the Colonial Inn. ) On the upside, it's now officially an antique. >Oh, and. I'm also making beans. You know, the kind that you make from the dried product. The kind you have to soak overnight and then boil. The kind that I used to eat all the time those two years I was a vegetarian. Not sure my 52 year old digestive tract can still handle them but I'm going to give it a try because I'm Livin' On The Land" and all lately and you just can't live on the land without eating beans and vegetables you don't even know the name of. Come to think of it, these kinds of foods and the way they affect the system could be why people who called these foods staples usually lived outdoors (on the land.) I'll keep you posted on this as things progress.